So, Textpattern CMS. What is that and what are its benefits? This CMS of 485 kilobytes includes a full-fledged content management system, a standard template, a guiding article, and all this requires several clicks to start working. Despite it is not so popular as some other CMS, it has pretty much benefits.
Installing Textpattern is a fairly simple process, not something special from other CMS, just unpack the installation package and upload files into a web host. The installation process is short, without unnecessary setup and does not require any additional knowledge or skills.
(Our Top Ranked #1 Web Host)
Note: This website ReviewPlan.com is hosted on SiteGround
Latest Uptime Stats (Real Records):
Server Response Speed Test Scored A+:
It is only necessary to specify the username of the database, the password and the base itself. A significant plus is the protection of the installation process by manually adding the config.php configuration file (manually via FTP). Let’s consider the main features of Textpattern.
The standard version of Textpattern includes all required tools for full-featured work of the newly created site. It’s worth noting that the base page template was created in accordance with the W3C standard. In the system, there is a clear distinction between content and its presentation (and the same content can be represented in different ways, depending on the section, category, author and many other factors). Such a mechanism is being implemented thanks to its own text packet tags that allow you to organize a presentation of the content of any complexity.
Some features of CMS Textpattern:
- embedded template editor, including CSS editor;
- Textile Converter, which allows users to format text without HTML knowledge;
- preview the post and its presentation in XHTML;
- based on its own tags template creation system allows multiple uses of separate code snippets or content and includes a “tag-linker” to automate routine editing processes;
- a system for commenting on publications, including anti-spam tools;
- internal statistics system, including tracking redirects and referrals;
- broadcast site updates via RSS and Atom;
- the distinction between user access rights, which allows collaborative work for editors, publishers, and designers;
- the ability to expand the functionality of the plugin system;
- integrated link and file management system;
- image management system that allows you to download them through the internal interface, edit and bind to any part of the content;
- distribution of content and presentation through the concept of “sections” for representation and “categories” for content organization.
The website content under the Textpattern control is stored in the form of articles, additional (or the main, depending on the concept of the site) content types are links, images, and files. Each article may belong to a section, as well as to one or two categories (with the help of plugins, you can expand the categories). It is possible to allow or forbid commentary for each particular article.
Sections are the main way of organizing site sections, each section can have its own HTML template and CSS style. From the URI point of view, the sections are represented as virtual directories of the site, although if you need to use plugins, you can change the binding of the URI to the pages.
HTML templates are organized using the mechanism of the pages and built-in forms. Actually, the content of the site in templates is placed using the Textpattern text tags that have an XML syntax. This is a very powerful mechanism by which Textpattern CMS manages publishing the publications, lists, menus, images, and work of other website components.
Thanks to its own tags, the content management system allow creating sites of almost any complexity, especially since the user can expand the list of available tags (and, accordingly, functionality) using plug-ins.
How to choose a hosting for Textpattern
The average price is about several dollars a month. Do not try to use too cheap hosting, or even free. In that case, you cannot expect good reliability and adequate tech support. In that case, the website will work slowly, or even will be unavailable. The result? You will lose your visitors.
Amount of free space
Ideally, the provider must offer at least 1 GB of available server space. The more memory, the more data you will be to store. But if you are planning to create the easy website, you will not require much space. Do not order it, as you will pay for the air.
Order the hosting will SSD drives. It will give your website blink speed and higher stability. Usually, the website works several times faster than with HDD drives.
To be able to run all the PHP scripts, make sure that the hosting offers the PHP memory limit of at least 128 MB. That will be enough for most websites.
This is the time when the website is available without interruption. Most providers guarantee the uptime of 99.9%. To make sure that the hosting provider really works as reliable as they promise. For that, you will be able to use some specific services.
Also, it is a great idea to check whether your hosting meets system requirements. They are the following:
- PHP version — 5.4 or later.
- MySQL version — 0.3 or later.
- Apache version — 1.3 or later, but we require 2.4 with mod_rewrite) or Nginx version — 13 or later.
- PHP extensions required:
- optional extensions:
- ini file with the date.timezone setting.
- A Unix/Linux server operating system with locale support.
- Any mail transport agent.
10 Best Textpattern Hosting Reviews and the Top Textpattern Hosting Companies
4) A2 Hosting